Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sunday of the Prodigal Son

 

O.K.  So, Lent is definitely close now!  I successfully dug through my freezer last week and used up almost all my meat, while we still have the chance.  My husband cooked up the final thing Sunday night...a turkey.  Normally, I would cook a bird, divide the meat into measured portions ready for multiple meals in the future, and refreeze them.  No time for that now, so the menu for this week is turkey and gravy on Monday, turkey pot pie on Tuesday, turkey crescents on Thursday, and turkey soup with turkey salad for lunches.  We'll be so sick of turkey that Meatfare will be a welcome blessing!

No craft projects for this week.  Instead, we had a celebration.  When the Prodigal Son returns, the Father has a huge party.  Everyone rejoices that he who was lost is found.  Hilary helped me make a chocolate pie for our celebration.  I told her that we were going to have a party where we would eat the pie, but first we had to read the story in her Bible.  She said, "I dunno...I don't think my Bible has party stories in it."  Oh, my!  We had to fix that misconception.  Bibles definitely have party stories in them!

I identify with the Prodigal Son.  There was a time in my life where I ran away from my Father's house and went to live with the pigs.  I'll never forget the yuck and muck.  It wasn't pretty.  When I, too, had enough and realized my stupid mistake, I was welcomed back with unbelievable mercy.  This story reminds us that no matter how much we sin and how far we wander from God, there is always, always, always hope.  That's a reason to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment