Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Introduction

For the past several years, our family has enjoyed traveling through the time of Advent accompanied by the tradition of the Jesse Tree. Even before we converted to Orthodoxy, we followed this guide of daily readings and activities for children. Each day during Advent, we meet a new character from the Old Testament or explore a prophecy of Christ. It sets the mood and keeps us focused on where we're going...not to Santa, but to the Messiah. The past two years, we have been extra pleased to follow the Orthodox version of the Jesse Tree. But Nativity has passed, Great Lent approaches (extra rapidly this year!) and I miss the Jesse Tree. The readings were such a bonding time for our family and a wonderful skeleton for family prayer time.

So, I began to think about how I could incorporate the pattern of the Jesse Tree into Great Lent. I threw around ideas for my preschooler, and I continue to explore those ideas for the future. I decided, though, to focus first on my older children. They crave materials just for them and not ones we've adjusted up or down to their level. They find some adult material dry or a little too deep for a quick, daily read. They also immediately turn up their noses at anything smelling of childishness. They're on their own path and want that uniqueness respected.

My older children want to embrace Lent, but they don't know how to stay in that moment of focus for so many weeks in a row. When we are blessed to attend the extra Lenten services, my kids are reminded of the call to increased prayer, fasting and almsgiving. But they get fairly used to fasting after awhile, and on the days in between services, it's all too easy to forget God and shift back to a regular life of school, sports and friends. The world is a tempting distraction, especially for this generation. The self-centered attitudes of our society are everywhere in ever-changing snazzy packages of electronic temptation. While the Church asks them to say "no", the world screams "yes". It's hard enough as an adult to stay focused during Lent! Even more difficult when you're caught between childhood and adulthood.

In response to my children's dilemma, I am in the process of creating From My Youth: Orthodox Christian Reflections on Great Lent for Older Children and Teens. I am writing this for my own children, but I am also pleased to share it with whoever is interested.

My prayer is that it will provide a daily reminder for my children. Of Christ. Of the doors of repentance. Of the road to Pascha.

As I complete each section, I will add it for all to access. Please remember that I am not a theologian. I'm a simple mother just trying to share the Faith with my children. Forgive any errors I may commit. Please bear with me as I tweak the format and content. I will try to finish as quickly as possible.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for doing this. It sounds like a great idea. I do not have a family yet, but I look forward to seeing what you are putting together, and tucking it away for the future : )

    ReplyDelete